[hppa-linux] syscall work

Michael Shalayeff mickey@lucifier.dial-up.user.akula.net
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:55:07 -0500 (EST)

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Stan Sieler:
> Hi,
re

> > okie, but why emulating gate instruction, when there is already such
> > instruction exist? (;
>
> Simple: HP does this...there must be a reason.
>
> They appear to do it on selected models of PA-RISC systems.  Why?  Don't know.
which models? could it be level 1 systems w/ less VM resources?

> I can only conjecture...and the conjecture is the obvious one: there must be
> some circumstance where GATE fails.  Otherwise, *why* replace it with
> a slightly slower mechanism?
hardware bug for example? maybe again on certain systems w/ less
tlb size and/or cache.

btw, lites/mklinux do not emulate gate.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)