[hppa-linux] syscall work

Stan Sieler sieler@allegro.com
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:08:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

There may be a reason to avoid the GATE instruction...I've seen some
HP PA-RISC systems where GATE has given way to simply
marking the "gateway" page as non-executable, and relying on a trap
handler to detect the gateway access.  The final result is the same...
an architected method of doing a system call.  (I can only conjecture
that there is a reason for this...but I don't know what it is.)

Perhaps we can get an HP person to comment?

--
Stan Sieler                                          sieler@allegro.com
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html