[hppa-linux] Qn on PA-RISC Page tables and TLB

Michael Shalayeff mickey@lucifier.dial-up.user.akula.net
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:52:49 -0500 (EST)

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Kumar:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Craig Hada wrote:
> > >

> > In the absense of a harware TLB walker, the page directory format can be
> > structured by software to fit its needs. However, the TLB miss handler
> > must reformat the bits to fit the format of the TLB insert instructions.
> > To get maximum performace from the system, the TLB miss handlers must be
> > made very efficient. The format of the page directory entry in the PA-RISC
> > Arch 1.1 book minimizes the work of the TLB miss handlers by aligning the
> > fields to match the format of the TLB insert instructions.
> > >

> Is it necessary that the virtual to physical mappings in TLB be inserted
> only in a tlb miss fault. Can I insert  entries in the anticipation that
> there will be a fault soon, for example when I first enable
> virtual mode ? If not, there is a potential chicken and egg problem
> because I will get a TLB miss fault as soon as I turn virtual mode on and
> TLB miss fault handler has to run in virtual mode with translations
> on.....and there aint any tranlations yet inserted ...you get the pitcure
usually kernel (and tlb miss handler) get block-mapped w/ block tlb,
so the whole kernel text+data get mapped once w/ one big tlb entry,
and won't get no tlb misses for it no more.
so, the chicken gonna be ok.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)