[parisc-linux] HPUX binary compatibility

Matthew Wilcox Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:41:48 +0200

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 10:05:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > any negative effect on anything.  Where it gets a little more thorny is
> > in signal.h -- HPUX uses more than 32 signals.  Is it going to negatively
> > impact Linux at all to use more than 32?  I see there is space reserved
> > for them, but I'd like someone to reassure me.
>
> How many non RT signals has HP/UX got. If its more than 32 we should allow
> for it, otherwise whoever does HP/UX compatibility will hate you

1-36 are non-RT, 37-44 are RT.  The header file contains the ominous
comment:

/* New signals: assign numbers before _SIGRTMIN, and increase _SIGRTMIN
   and _SIGRTMAX to keep at end. */

The signal.h I committed last night gives Linux/PARISC ordinary signals
from 1-36 and RT signals from 37-64.  I reused _SIGGFAULT (Graphics
framebuffer fault) to be SIGSTKFLT for which HPUX has no equivalent.  My
question was, will having more than 32 signals annoy any Linux people?

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of