[parisc-linux] HPUX binary compatibility

Stan Sieler sieler@allegro.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:45:54 -0700 (PDT)

Re:

> How far do we want to or are we able to go with making constants identical
> between HPUX and Linux?
>
> Some syscalls are going to have to be different between the two OSes --
> ioctl is the obvious example -- but it would be nice to have to do as
> little work as possible.

that's why I suggested shifting the Linux system call magic numbers
upwards, to avoid the HP range.  If the Linux ioctl is different than the
HP-UX one, then it should have a different syscall number.

> Linux has things which HPUX doesn't, HPUX might later allocate the same
> number for a different extension.

Not if HP agrees to reserve a range for Linux use.

> (Of course, if HP want to add Linux binary compatibility to HPUX, now
> would be a great time to mention it :-)

that sounds fair!

--
Stan Sieler                                          sieler@allegro.com