[parisc-linux] A quick update

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:49:14 -0400 (EDT)

> >The -N places the $DATA$ section after
> >the $CODE$ section in low memory.  The +n option that was being used
> >in the Makefile has the $DATA$ section in the 0x40000000 quadrant.
> >This is wrong for the kernel.
>
> The opposite of -N is -n, not +n. The +n option tells the linker to
> search archive libraries iteratively, which I believe is needed for the
> Linux kernel.

Thanks for the information on the +n option.  My old system doesn't
document +n.  However, with the simple configuration that is being
tested, it doesn't seem necessary to link the kernel with +n.  Possibly,
+n will be required when more modules are configured in the kernel.

> The -N option tells the linker to build a "non-shareable" executable, so
> it puts text and data together in one segment. The -n option is the
> default, where shareable text is placed in the first quadrant and data is
> placed in the second quadrant.

Based on the code in the IPL that is being used, it looks like -N
is the correct choice.  The IPL doesn't try to load kernel data
into the second quadrant as far as I can tell.