[parisc-linux] booting problems

Alex deVries adevries@thepuffingroup.com
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:19:44 -0400

John David Anglin wrote:

> >   In message <3760CF80.887DA4C3@thepuffingroup.com>you write:
> >   > Okay, I'm a bit better off now.  I've at least located the problem.  I
> >   > copied the IPL straight out of Jason's binary, rebuilt, and it boots.
> >   > The next task is to figure out why the cross compiled version of ipl is
> >   > broken, and how to fix it.
> > It could well be an endianness problem in the ELF tools if that's what you
> > are using to build stuff.
>
> While there could be an endianness problem, I think it more likely that
> it is how IPL is being linked and extracted into the LIF image.

I think you're right.  I'm sure now that the byte order isn't a problem,
because my header and Jason's IPL work fine.

> Jason's
> link options, "-R 0 -N", specified a text origin of 0 and data following
> the text.  I think the default for ELF is to place the text at 0x1000 and
> data at 0x40000000.  The gnu ld equivalent for "-R 0" would appear to
> be "-Ttext 0".  I am not sure there is a direct equivalent for "-N".
> Maybe, you could use "-Tdata" to set the data location.  Maps might be
> useful to sort out what is going on.

Definitely.  This should be the next step in sorting this out.

> Also, the SOM and ELF headers at the
> beginning of each binary may differ in size.  When I tried "-Ttext 0",
> the size of the ELF header seemed to change in size.  I think there
> is info in the header about its size, etc.

I was thinking that object formats wouldn't really matter in the end; in
the end we're doing straight binary with no loading information.

- Alex