[parisc-linux] a question about HPUX's linker

Matthew Wilcox Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:39:46 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 03:10:50AM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> To help us get ahead, I'm trying to get the kernel to build properly
> with HPUX, using HPUX's linker, and gcc.
>
> Why does the final kernel link use --start-group ... --end-group?
>
> What's the equivalent syntax for HPUX's ld?
>
> I'm a bit short on docs in this area...

This is something which happened towards the later days of 2.1
development.  It causes GNU ld to scan through the archives indicated
between --start-group and --end-group until no more symbols are resolved.
It is a GNU extension.  I think _in general_ it's not necessary, but
there are a few corner cases where this is needed.  Try taking it out,
tell us what errors you get.

Of course, this is all due to Linux's lame build scripts and they should
be replaced with something better.  which I don't have time to work on, of
course :-)

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of