[parisc-linux] Helge's commits

Mike Shaver shaver@netscape.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:36:01 -0400

Helge Deller wrote:
> From what I (and you too) saw, Utah CSS/CSL would be able to change that license,
> the only question is, if OSF is willing to change it too ?

OSF's license is _probably_ GPL-compatible as-is, though the requirement
for mention of permission notice in documentation might put it afoul,
and I'd want to check with a real lawyer to be sure.  The Utah CSS/CSL
license, as currently in place on pdc.h and such, is not at all
GPL-compatible.  Hopefully, we can get it changed, but in the meantime I
don't think we should be barging ahead and adding these files to the
tree.

I and others (self-identify if you wish) think that until the issues are
cleared up, we should probably remove the OSF/CSS/CSL code from the
tree.  Hopefully we can get it all cleared up in short order, but until
then I'm nervous about what happens a month from now when Utah says
``no, you can't relicense'' and we have to redevelop lots of the code.
Ask the 4.4LITE guys, it's not fun.

Mike

--
350842.71 306592.32