[parisc-linux] Thanks...alot

Eric Schnoebelen eric@cirr.com
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:53:37 -0600

tom@piace.com writes:
- 	Does anyone know if hp has a development version of hpux like
- sun has with solaris?  If not does anyone know of a way to reset the
- password from the console.

	Depending upon the OS version and the settings, you
should be able to boot the system to single user mode, and reset
the password.  I'm a bit out of practice, but if you ``boot
isl'', and then enter `/hp-ux -is' (for 9.0x) or `/stand/vmunix
-is' (for 10.20), you should be get a single user prompt,
without having to enter a password (later OS versions may
require the root password to enter single user mode.)

- 	My only other idea is to find a diff scsi card that I can put
- into my other linux box, and try to mount the root partions, and edit the
- password file.

	That probably won't work, as the filesystem used by
HP-UX is just enough different that Linux won't be able to mount
it..  If it's a 10.20 or later system, running LVM, Linux
_realy_ won't know what to do with it..

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	Have you ever noticed that the people who are always trying