[parisc-linux] Puffin sells out!

Tomasz Korycki tkorycki@sprint.ca
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:36:38 -0500

>> The community understands that HP has been funding and supporting the
>> port.  The big question is the level of support enough?  How important
>> is linux to HP's future?  At least two years ago, SGI decided IRIX was
>> dying and agressively started to support linux development for their
>> machines.

>I think we have to be careful here, because there are some key
>differences.  There is no question in my mind that Linux is very
>important to HP.  However, where SGI made the decision to eventually
>replace IRIX with Linux, HP still has full intent to aggressively
>support, enhance, and continue development of HP-UX.  HP-UX is still
>the #1 UNIX out there and HP is very committed to that customer base.

  OK, the voice from the IRIX-world: Yes, SGI does pretty much the same
thing as HP does. There's full-speed-ahead on the port, but using mostly
spare time, good will and outside community. Documentation has to go through
the same process. It all takes tiiiiiiime.... Anyway, from what I gather,
IRIX is also developing nicely. Essentially, SGI is betting on Linux for
workstations and IRIX for bigger boxes (the criteria: if You need a friend
to lift it, You need IRIX; if You can do it Yourself, Linux will be fine; if
You need a step-ladder to get into it - well, get UnicOS). Mind You, some of
the key IRIX ppl just left, but it may be of no relevance. So, SGI's idea
seems to be: get the low-end with Linux, the middle-ground with IRIX and the
high-end with UNICOS. Makes sense to me. Also, they essentially abandoned
older arch (R3k), which makes things a lot simpler (for porting and,
especially, docs).