[parisc-linux] Puffin sells out!

FINK,MARTIN (HP-FtCollins,ex1) martin_fink@hp.com
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:22:54 -0700

Ok - an HP manager takes the stand - listen up!

This will attempt to talk to all of the comments posted so far....

1.  HP is currently actively funding the effort to port Linux to PA.
    Since I'm the guy who's actually signing the invoices, paychecks
    and the bills, I think I should know.  So, if anyone doubts that
    this is happening, let me know - if you need to see a warm body
    actually checking in code, we'll arrange for that.

2.  HP is trying really hard to balance active involvement with doing
    too much.  This is an Open Source project.  HP's role is to help
    by providing docs, equipment, and resources to the community to do
    the development.  If you don't have what you need, tell me the
    specific details of what you're missing and why you need it.  I'll
    do what I can to get it to you.  If HP tries to do too much, then
    we'll be perceived as taking over the port.  If you think we have
    the wrong balance, speak up, give details and tell us what you
    think we should be doing.

3.  We are actively working on cleaning up docs (ie removing people's
    names, part numbers, product code names and proprietary data).
    It's a complex and involved process that engineers do (in most
    cases) at home, in their spare time.  Again, if there's a specific
    piece of data you need, post a note, we'll get you what you need.

4.  The relationship between HP and The Puffins (LinuxCare) is just
    fine.  We continue to work closely together, and we all feel very
    positive about the Puffin/LinuxCare linkup.  As Alex mentioned,
    because of the linkup, more and better is now possible.

Any questions?  I'll be listening until Friday 5PM MST, then I'll be
on vacation (in my home town of Ottawa of all places) until Jan 4th,
2000.

Martin

| Martin Fink                 | E-mail: mailto:martin_fink@hp.com     |
| UNIX Development Lab        | Phone:  970-898-7076                  |
| Hewlett-Packard Co.         | FAX:    970-898-2838                  |
| Ft. Collins, CO, USA, 80528 | Web:    http://www.hp.com/            |