[parisc-linux] Puffin sells out!

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:25:14 -0500 (EST)

> John David Anglin wrote:
> > Is this the end?
>
> Oh, get real.

It was a question not a conclusion.  I was very surprised to learn about
the sale of the Puffin Group in the paper.  The sale clearly had the
potential to change the dynamics of the PA-RISC port.

As you are aware, the linux market is "red-hot" and investors are plowing
mega-bucks into linux companies.  For example, Linuxcare recieved $32.5
million (U.S.) in funding from Dell, Sun, Motorola and Oracle.  HP wasn't
on the list.

It is certain that the investors pouring money into linux companies are
going to demand a return on their investment.  There will be strong pressure
within these companies to control and close the development of linux.
Standards committees will be formed and this will be a further method by
which participating companies will enhance their position in the market place.

If you look at the board of Linicare, you will see that it is made up
mainly of business people, not linux hackers.  How the linux market will
evolve is hard to say but the current consolidation suggests that venture
capitalists are attempting to gain control of large segment of it.

> The Puffin Group will continue to do PA-RISC Linux, but now we'll be
> able to put more resources behind it than we've been able to in the
> past. It will remain an open source project and will operate as it has.
> The relationship with HP has only been strengthened.

That's very good news.