Fwd: Re: [parisc-linux] initrd/ramdisk-Status...

Helge Deller Helge.Deller@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:50:34 +0200

Subject: Re: [parisc-linux] initrd/ramdisk-Status...
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:37:55 +0200
From: Helge Deller <Helge.Deller@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

Hi Matthew,

Am Tue, 24 Aug 1999 schrieben Sie:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 09:11:58PM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
> > I programmed it in such a way, that the bootable image in arch/parisc/boot/
> > holds a directory-structure for up to 63 possible ramdisks, which can be
> > selected during boot via initrd=<number> or initrd=<name>.
> > The reason for adding support for multiple ramdisks is, that distributions
> > later can add easier support for multiple/different machines in one bootfile.
>

> Hang on, this doesn't make sense.  There should be no difference between
> the binaries, the only difference should be the kernels.

Yes, maybe I could change it to select the kernel..... What do you think ?
On the other side, there also could be different binaries for PA1.x / PA2.

> I believe the
> plan is to put UFS-reading code into the bootloader in any case (mkp?)
> which makes all this a temporary hack; as it should be.

Yes of course is UFS-reading the most important part, but how would you do
UFS-reading over Network or from a DAT on a new system without preinstalled fs
or unformatted fs ?

Helge.