[parisc-linux] Thoughts on arch/parisc/irq.c

Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 02:16:27 +0100 (BST)

> (BTW - anyone else modifying gecko/dino.c?)

Not just at the moment

> o Do GBD or other psuedo drivers need to reserve EIRR bits?
>   Ie soft interrupts to reschedule work at lower SPL levels.

Linux has no notion of SPL levels at all. The model is

Hardware interrupt. These live in a unified space described by a cookie.
We map the cookie to the irq number on a PC but that is optional. Drivers
only know about irqs as a cookie.

Bottom half handlers. We invoke these on the path out of an irq before
returning to the normal scheduled universe. mark_bh() sets a bh to be run
on the next return. BH's are not run if they are already running - they
are single threaded with respect to each other right now - that may change
to be 'with respect to self' one day.

Interrupts may occur during a bh, we normally dont allow interrupts during
an IRQ handler on the same CPU.

> o Each processor can have it's own EIRR switch table.
>   Thus, "irq_action[]" could be an an array hanging off a per processor
>   data structure. This is interesting for large configurations where
>   the 31 bits aren't enough and sharing isn't supported.

Ok