[parisc-linux] Qn on Linux/PA-RISC future Console driver

Don Dyer don@fc.hp.com
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 14:18:15 -0600

Jason Eckhardt wrote:

> > Hi,
> >       Has anyone done some work on Linux/PA-RISC Console driver.
> >       Are we planning to use PDC for console or is it possible
> >       to directly access Console device.
> >

>   I believe HP-UX uses the STI ROM interface rather than going
>   through the IODC interface (i.e. like the bootstrap), although an HP person
>   can tell us positively.

  IODC uses STI to access the graphics device.  This removes graphics
device dependencies in IODC and allows any graphics device (including
unknown or new devices) to be used as the text only boot device.

Don Dyer
Workstation Systems Lab
+1 970/898-4277